History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle Eden, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7393 / 54°44'21"N

Longitude: -1.3367 / 1°20'11"W

OS Eastings: 442806

OS Northings: 538455

OS Grid: NZ428384

Mapcode National: GBR MF3M.DW

Mapcode Global: WHD65.F4QN

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1120940

English Heritage Legacy ID: 109425

Location: Castle Eden, County Durham, TS27

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Castle Eden

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Blackhall

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Peterlee

Listing Text

NZ 4238 CASTLE EDEN THE VILLAGE
(East side, off)

10/13 Church of St. James
20/2/67
II

Parish church. Dated 1764 and incorporating medieval masonry in west end and
tower; aisles added c.1800; chancel rebuilt and organ chamber added in 1896.
Possibly by William Newton for Rowland Burdon I. Dressed and ashlar limestone
with quoins; sandstone window surrounds; green slate roofs. West tower, aisled
nave, chancel with north vestry and south organ chamber. Early Gothick with
pointed-arched windows in raised surrounds. West tower has 3 stepped stages,
embattled belfry and octagonal lead-covered spire with weathercock; each stage
has pointed openings to front and quatrefoils (some blocked) to returns; C20
external stairs to first floor porch and door. Single 8-pane windows high in
flanking west aisle walls. 3-bay nave has low plinth, 3 similar windows and
low-pitched roof with coped gables and shaped kneelers; C19 gabled bellcote
near east end of north wall. 2-bay chancel has similar features; Venetian east
window with pointed centre light. Vestry and organ chamber under low-pitched
lean-to roofs.

Interior: each aisle has 2 unfluted Corinthian columns on tall bases; C19
wood west gallery. Coved ceiling with exposed tie beams. Semicircular chancel
arch with smaller similar flanking openings; early C20 screen incorporating
early C18 carved woodwork with flower and leaf motifs; encaustic-tiled chancel
floor and coved, panelled, painted ceiling of 1896. Fittings: marble wall
monument, on north chancel wall, to Rowland Burdon II (died 1838); 2 early,
coped grave covers in east wall of organ chamber; brass memorial plaque, on
east wall of south aisle, to W.S. Hicks (died 1902 "whose last completed work
was the redecoration of this church"); oval marble tablet, in vestry, commemorates
the rebuilding of the church in 1764; C18 oval font of marble on baluster shaft
at west end of nave. Stained glass: 2 windows of c.1915 by Heaton, Butler and
Bayne of London; memorial window of 1949 to Rowland Burdon (1857-1948) by L.C.
Evetts.


Listing NGR: NZ4280638455

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.