History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hermitage Hospital and Attached Former Stables and Coach House

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester-le-Street South, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8436 / 54°50'36"N

Longitude: -1.5846 / 1°35'4"W

OS Eastings: 426775

OS Northings: 549940

OS Grid: NZ267499

Mapcode National: GBR KDCF.RH

Mapcode Global: WHC4B.MJN6

Entry Name: Hermitage Hospital and Attached Former Stables and Coach House

Listing Date: 29 July 1950

Last Amended: 14 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1120954

English Heritage Legacy ID: 109371

Location: County Durham, DH2

County: County Durham

Electoral Ward/Division: Chester-le-Street South

Built-Up Area: Chester-le-Street

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Chester-le-Street

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Chester-le-Street

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/06/2012


NZ 24 NE
1387/7/25
29/7/50


CHESTER-LE-STREET
DURHAM ROAD
(west side, off)
Hermitage Hospital and attached former stables
and coach house

(formerly listed as The Hermitage, A167 (T))


GV
II


Large house, now a miners' rehabilitation centre. c1820. Dressed sandstone, Welsh slate roofs and stone chimney stacks. 4 ranges round a rectangular courtyard. Tudor style. Long 2-storey entrance front with 3-bay centre flanked by wide canted bays. Low plinth and first floor string. Central stone porch with pair of 3-panel doors and pierced parapet with octagonal corner piers and spike finials. 4-light ovolo-moulded mullioned windows, with 2 transoms, flanking porch. Cross windows with replaced casements in other bays, elongated on ground floor of canted bays. Tall parapet, above string, has raised centre containing carved round-arched panel with coat-of-arms. Regularly spaced spike finials on parapet. Low-pitched hipped roof. 2 ridge chimneys; each with 4 conjoined and corniced octagonal stacks. Set-back bay and later 2-storey additions on right return in similar style. Left return has similar details and bracketed first-floor balcony. 3-storey square-plan tower on left rear has canted ground-floor bay window and pierced parapet. Adjoining north-west corner, stable range and coach house. Stable range, single storey, has hipped roof and irregular openings. Near the centre, a mounting block. Coach house, 2 storeys, 3 window range, has hipped roof. To left, 2 elliptical arched carriage openings, that to the right with double plank doors. To right, a large cross-casement, reglazed, and a door with overlight. Above, an off-centre window flanked to left by Yorkshire sash and to right by a tripartite sash. All these windows have glazing bars. Interior has entrance hall with 5-bay round-arched arcade in front of staircase. Several rooms with late C17-style features, including bolection moulded fireplaces. Several 4-panel doors in architraves.

Listing NGR: NZ2677549940

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.