History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Chapel North of Harbour House

A Grade II Listed Building in Kimblesworth and Plawsworth, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8289 / 54°49'44"N

Longitude: -1.5621 / 1°33'43"W

OS Eastings: 428231

OS Northings: 548317

OS Grid: NZ282483

Mapcode National: GBR KDJL.MR

Mapcode Global: WHC4B.ZWBG

Entry Name: Former Chapel North of Harbour House

Listing Date: 23 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1120959

English Heritage Legacy ID: 109383

Location: Kimblesworth and Plawsworth, County Durham, DH3

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Kimblesworth and Plawsworth

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Kimblesworth

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Chester-le-Street

Listing Text

KIMBLESWORTH AND PLAWSWORTH HOLMHILL LANE
NZ 24 NE
(East side, off)
7/40 Former Chapel north
of Harbour House
II

Former manorial chapel. Possibly C13 with C17 alterations. Coursed rubble;
roof covering removed. Small rectangular-plan chapel aligned east-west.

Single storey; divided into 3 bays by C19 roof structure. Large squared quoins
and c.l.O-metre thick walls. C19 doorway, and lintel of a C17 2-light mullioned
window with wide inner splay, in south wall. Blocked lancet, without head but
with wide inner splay, in west gable end. Featureless north wall. East gable
end has collapsed. Small square opening, possibly an aumbry, on inner wall of
west gable end.

Ruinous at time of survey.

Historical notes: Licensed for the saying of Masses in 1432 by Bishop Langley;
Ralph Corby, one of the Catholic English Martyrs, worshipped here c.1632-44; a
trefoiled-headed lancet and a piscina were removed in mid C19. Probably the
only surviving private manorial chapel in the County.

(R. Surtees, The History and Antiquities of the County Palatinate of Durham,
Vol.IV, 1840)


Listing NGR: NZ2823148317

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.