This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.8716 / 54°52'17"N
Longitude: -1.6172 / 1°37'1"W
OS Eastings: 424664
OS Northings: 553046
OS Grid: NZ246530
Mapcode National: GBR KD43.PG
Mapcode Global: WHC44.4T57
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 15 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120963
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109397
Location: Pelton, County Durham, DH2
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Pelton
Built-Up Area: Pelton
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Pelton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
PELTON FRONT STREET
NZ 25 SW
3/53 Church of the
15/8/85 Holy Trinity
Parish church. 1841-2 by George Jackson. Dressed stone and purple slate roof.
West tower and spire; aisleless nave and south porch; chancel and north vestry.
Early English style.
West tower: square-plan lower stage, gabled on west, has pointed doorway, with
colonnettes, loop and blind trefoil in gable; roof of lower stage dying into
octagonal clock tower; octagonal belfry has trefoil-headed bell openings, each
under a crocketed gablet; octagonal spire and finial. 4-bay nave has plinth,
moulded sill band and recessed bays, between buttresses, with single lancets
and corbel tables. West and east ends have clasping buttresses surmounted by
octagonal turrets with spirelets: single lancets flanking tower; pierced
trefoils flanking chancel roof. Shouldered south doorway within porch.
Steeply-pitched roof with coped gables. Small 3-bay chancel has plinth, sill
and eaves bands; 3 lancets on south; 3 stepped lancets under hoodmould on
angle-buttressed east end. Steeply-pitched roof with coped east gable. Gabled
porch has clasping buttresses; pointed doorway with colonnettes; corbel tables
on returns. 2-bay gabled vestry with boiler-house in basement; pointed east
door and 2-light mullioned windows above.
Plastered interior. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on moulded corbels.
Elaborate nave roof: 6 king-post trusses and hammerbeam truss at west end;
alternate trusses have arched braces with pierced trefoils in spandrels. 1853
font with octagonal bowl on squat pier and moulded base. 1855 rood screen of
carved oak with drop tracery and cresting. Stained glass: chancel east window
and south window (commemorating cholera outbreak) 1849 by Wailes; nave south
window (after Hunt's 'Light of the World') 1911 by Wailes and Strang; also in
nave, south window 1977 by Selwyn Beattie, north window 1969 by L.C. Evetts.
Listing NGR: NZ2466453046
Other nearby listed buildings