This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6161 / 50°36'57"N
Longitude: -2.0602 / 2°3'36"W
OS Eastings: 395833
OS Northings: 79598
OS Grid: SY958795
Mapcode National: GBR 33V.7Y1
Mapcode Global: FRA 67KF.Z1L
Entry Name: Old Church of Saint James
Listing Date: 20 November 1959
Last Amended: 10 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120979
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109331
Location: Corfe Castle, Purbeck, Dorset, BH20
Civil Parish: Corfe Castle
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Kingston St James
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
CORFE CASTLE WEST STREET, KINGSTON
SY 95 79
6/178 Old Church of Saint James
(formerly listed as "Old
20.11.59 Parish Church, now Parish
Former church, now redundant, and in course of conversion to house at time of
survey (1985). Built 1833 for first Earl of Eldon. Architect G S Repton.
Rough ashlar stone walls with ashlardressings, slate roof with coped gables and
part with parapets. Nave, sanctuary, south transept, shallow north transept,
tower north of nave. Tower has battlemented parapet and corner pinnacles.
Single-light square-headed belfry windows with ogee tracery. Similar windows
at lower level in east and west walls. Plain pointed-arched doorway in north
wall. East of tower, slightly projecting north transept,-with parapet, has 3
windows as in tower. One similar window in north wall, west of tower. East-wall
of chancel has moulded coping and shaped kneelers. 2-light pointed-arched east
window with ogee-headed lights. Small quatrefoil opening above this. On south
side of chancel, later vestry in course of demolition at time of survey. Two
2-light square-headed windows with ogee tracery. South transept gable similar
to sanctuary. Moulded pointed-arched doorway. Above this a quatrefoil opening
as in sanctuary. In south wall of nave, two 2-light windows as in south wall
of chancel. In west wall of nave a 3-light 4-centred arched window with
perpendicular style tracery with ogee-headed lights. Small quatrefoil opening
above this. Below the window, re-set, part of a C12 arch with chip-carved diaper
ornament. In tower base, an inscribed stone commemorating the building of the
church. Original west gallery survives - rest of interior reconstructed. Work
of conversion in progress at time of survey (June 1985) (RCHM, Monument 2.
Dorset. Vol. II).
Listing NGR: SY9583379598
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings