This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.8575 / 54°51'27"N
Longitude: -1.5204 / 1°31'13"W
OS Eastings: 430886
OS Northings: 551519
OS Grid: NZ308515
Mapcode National: GBR KDT8.MH
Mapcode Global: WHC4C.M56H
Entry Name: The Lodge, West of Church of St Barnabas
Listing Date: 23 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120986
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109350
Location: Bournmoor, County Durham, DH4
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Bournmoor
Built-Up Area: Bournmoor
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Burnmoor
Church of England Diocese: Durham
BOURNMOOR CHESTER ROAD
NZ 35 SW
5/4 The Lodge,
west of Church of
Lodge. Circa 1875. Polychrome brick (buff with light- and dark-red banding
etc.), stone dressings and graduated green slate roof. Staggered cross plan
with later addition on right rear.
Single storey with attics; 3-bay entrance front. Chamfered stone plinth.
Wide canted bay and set-back flanking bays with slightly lower ridges.
Replaced door in moulded surround, under arcaded wood porch with pent roof,
on right bay. Replaced casements. 2-light window with triangular-headed
lights in left bay. Canted bay has ovolo-moulded mullioned-and-transomed
windows under hoodmoulds, and small gabled dormers over front and right
return. Steeply-pitched roof, with fish-scale bands, has overhanging eaves
with bargeboards and pierced terracotta ridge tiles with end ball finials.
Roof hipped over canted bay, right return and rear. Paired cylindrical ridge
stacks, with offset circular stone caps, above left bay and on rear ridge.
Carved stone ram's head (Lambton insignia) in pointed panel on left return
Early C20 single-storey rear addition in similar style.
Listing NGR: NZ3088651519
Other nearby listed buildings