This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8574 / 54°51'26"N
Longitude: -1.5197 / 1°31'10"W
OS Eastings: 430933
OS Northings: 551508
OS Grid: NZ309515
Mapcode National: GBR KDT8.SJ
Mapcode Global: WHC4C.M5KK
Entry Name: Church of St Barnabas
Listing Date: 23 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120988
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109353
Location: Bournmoor, County Durham, DH4
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Bournmoor
Built-Up Area: Bournmoor
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Burnmoor
Church of England Diocese: Durham
BOURNMOOR CHESTER ROAD
NZ 35 SW
5/7 Church of
Parish church. 1867-8 by Johnson and Hicks; north aisle heightened and enlarged
1881-2 by A.C. Hicks; chancel decorated 1888 probably by W.S. Hicks. Polychrome
brick (buff with red and purple bands, diapers etc.); graduated green slate
roof. Aisled nave with south porch; chancel with north vestries. Early
English and Decorated style.
Continuous moulded plinth and sill bands; buttressed bay divisions. 3-bay nave:
3-light pointed window and gabled bellcote, with 2 low openings, on west;
2-order pointed doorway with colonnettes inside porch; high-pitched roof.
South aisle: lancets on returns; 2- and 3-light grouped lancets on south; pent
roof. Tall north aisle: square-headed 3-light windows and moulded parapet on
north; similar 4-light window and stepped parapet on angle-buttressed west
return. Tall 2-bay chancel: 2-light pointed windows on south; similar 3-light
window on angle-buttressed east end; high-pitched roof. Gabled porch has
moulded 2-order pointed archway with colonnettes; carved stone Christ in
mandorla above. Gabled choir vestry and flat-roofed Vicar's vestry have
mullioned windows; Vicar's vestry has stepped moulded parapet and 3 conjoined
octagonal stacks. Richly-decorated polychrome brick interior with contemporary
fittings. Nave: 3-bay hollow-chamfered pointed stone arcades on squat
cylindrical piers with moulded bases and stiff-leaf capitals; circular stone
font at west has bowl carved with New Testament scenes; arcaded stone pulpit.
Large white marble Angel of Victory in north aisle, 1894 by Waldo Storey,
commemorating 3rd and 4th Earls of Durham. Chancel: double-chamfered arch
on stiff-leaf corbels; 2 steps to sanctuary with encaustic-tiled floor;
elaborate rood screen, panelling, reredos and mural decoration; brass altar
rail on scrolled supports; compartmented barrel-vaulted ceiling with moulded
ribs and painted floral panels; south windows have moulded rear-arches with
colonnettes; contemporary organ and choir stalls. Stained glass by Morris and
Co: 1919 on chancel south side (3 saints) and east end of south aisle (to Sara
Reynolds); 1922 at west end of south aisle (David and Goliath).
(Thomas Westgarth, The Story of the Parish Church of Burnmoor, County Durham,
2nd edition 1968).
Listing NGR: NZ3093351508
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings