This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.556 / 54°33'21"N
Longitude: -1.9698 / 1°58'11"W
OS Eastings: 402052
OS Northings: 517860
OS Grid: NZ020178
Mapcode National: GBR GHPR.BL
Mapcode Global: WHB4C.QR65
Entry Name: Mausoleum/Mortuary Chapel 90 Metres North of Yew Trees
Listing Date: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121025
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111265
Location: Lartington, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Lartington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
LARTINGTON LARTINGTON LANE
(North side, off)
Chapel, 90 metres
north of Yew Trees
Small mausoleum/mortuary chapel. Dated 1877 on keystone. Built for Monsignor
Thomas Witham of Lartington Hall. Rock-faced masonry with leaded roofs. Square,
Stepped clasping buttresses. Pair of 3-panel doors in splayed round-arched
doorway with roll-moulded hoodmould and projecting keystone inscribed: TW 1877.
Doorway-flanked by stepped pilasters partly cut away to accommodate red sandstone
colonnettes. Pilasters crowned by statuettes of St. Peter (to left) and St.
Paul (to right). Raised cross above keystone. Wood eaves cornice. Low-pitched
hipped roof surmounted by glazed, square-plan lantern with leaded pyramidal
roof. Slightly-projecting rear bay has 3 stepped round-headed lancets.
Caen-stone-lined interior has carvings by Messrs. Priestman and Sons of
Of interest as a mortuary chapel in a private Catholic cemetery.
Listing NGR: NZ0205217860
Other nearby listed buildings