History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dotheboys Hall and Former Coach House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bowes, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5172 / 54°31'1"N

Longitude: -2.0168 / 2°1'0"W

OS Eastings: 399007

OS Northings: 513540

OS Grid: NY990135

Mapcode National: GBR GJC6.4H

Mapcode Global: WHB4J.ZQRF

Entry Name: Dotheboys Hall and Former Coach House

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Last Amended: 17 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1121040

English Heritage Legacy ID: 111196

Location: Bowes, County Durham, DL12

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Bowes

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Find accommodation in
Bowes

Listing Text

NY 91 SE and NY 9913
19/34 and 33/34
12/1/67

BOWES
THE STREET
(South side)
Dotheboys Hall and
former coach-house
(Formerly listed as
Dotheboys Hall)

II
GV
Large house formerly the Bowes Academy, now divided into 7 flats. Late C18-
early C19 house with late C20 alterations; late C19 coach-house. Dressed
sandstone. Graduated green slate roofs and stone chimney stacks. L-plan main
block (garden front and right return wing) with coach-house attached to left of
garden front and service wing attached at right-angles to rear of right return
wing.

2-storey, irregular 7-bay garden front with flush quoins. Replaced door and
radial fanlight in moulded round-arched surround in bay 6; flanking late C19
canted bay windows. Four 2-pane sashes in moulded surrounds with projecting
sills to left. 2-pane sashes above in identical surrounds. Low-pitched hipped
roof. 3 ridge stacks with top bands.

Coach-house: one-storey, 2-bay centre with blocked round arches and an
embattled parapet with pyramidal coping stones; flanking taller square-plan
towers break forward and have pyramidal roofs with ball finials.

2-storey, irregular 7-bay right return wing has scattered 4-pane sashes; pair
of rusticated coach arches, with late C20 glazing, towards rear. Low-pitched
roof hipped at rear.

One-storey service wing has replaced windows and a low-pitched roof.

Dotheboys Hall, formerly the Bowes Academy, a private school for 200 boys run
by William Shaw, was visited by Charles Dickens on February 2nd, 1838. Outraged
by its disgraceful conditions Dickens, in his novel Nicholas Nickleby, exposed
the Academy and its principal (as Wackford Squeers) thereby creating a public
outcry that forced many such schools, including the Bowes Academy, to close
down.

Listed for historical interest.

(John Manning, Dickens on Education, 1959).

Listing NGR: NY9900713540

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.