This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5475 / 54°32'50"N
Longitude: -1.7824 / 1°46'56"W
OS Eastings: 414170
OS Northings: 516937
OS Grid: NZ141169
Mapcode National: GBR HHZV.XM
Mapcode Global: WHC5L.LYFP
Entry Name: Bridgewater Arms (West Section)
Listing Date: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121061
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111153
Location: Winston, County Durham, DL2
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Winston
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Winston
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 11 NW WINSTON WINSTON VILLAGE
5/62 Bridgewater Arms
Former village school now used as part of the Bridgewater Arms Public House.
Dated 1851; additions to rear in 1870. Sandstone rubble with tooled-and-margined
quoins; roof of graduated sandstone flags; stone stack. Tudor Revival-style.
Single-storey, 3-bay front: central projecting gabled porch has doorway with
Tudor-arched head, chamfered reveals, pair of late C20 doors and single-pane
overlight. Raised scroll above doorway has date JAN 3, 1851, central section
concealed by lead sheathing and recessed square panel above with monogram ACE.
Small gabled bellcote at-apex. Flanking 2-light windows under hoodmoulds have
chamfered mullions and elongated hexagonal quarries. Left return has similar
3-light mullioned-and-transomed window. Irregular rear has two gabled wings
with small 2- and 3-light mullioned windows. Roof has gable parapets with
chamfered copings and shaped kneelers; corniced right ridge stack.
Public House attached to right not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ1417016937
Other nearby listed buildings