History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

8 and 9, High Green

A Grade II Listed Building in Gainford, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5463 / 54°32'46"N

Longitude: -1.7375 / 1°44'15"W

OS Eastings: 417077

OS Northings: 516809

OS Grid: NZ170168

Mapcode National: GBR JH9W.M2

Mapcode Global: WHC5M.8ZVN

Entry Name: 8 and 9, High Green

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Last Amended: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1121108

English Heritage Legacy ID: 111051

Location: Gainford, County Durham, DL2

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Gainford

Built-Up Area: Gainford

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Gainford

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Gainford

Listing Text

NZ 1616 - 1716 GAINFORD HIGH GREEN
(North side)

9/98 Nos. 8 and 9
14.9.66 - (formerly listed as
No.10 West House)
GV II


Substantial house now 2 dwellings. Dated 1696 on doorway in right return, with
mid C19 alterations. Roughcast and painted masonry, graduated green slate roof
with roughcast brick and stone stacks. 3-storey, 7-bay front with raised and
chamfered quoins. No. 8 5 bays, No. 9 2 bays. Ground floor: No. 8 has 6-panel
door and radial fanlight in round-arched surround flanked by mid C19 canted
bay windows; No. 9 has late C20 glazed door and similar bay window to left.
First floor 12-pane sash windows, those of No. 8 renewed, in raised surrounds.
Second floor windows have double-chamfered surrounds, originally with central
mullion, and now with square 4-pane sashes. Low-pitched roof has coped gables
with shaped kneelers. Corniced stone left gable and ridge stacks, rebuilt right
gable stack of brick. Right return has possibly repositioned, blocked doorway
with elaborate shouldered and eared bolection-moulded surround; raised tablet
above doorhead inscribed 16 HE 96 (Henry Eden).

Interior of No. 8: ground floor cross-passage has blocked doorway in bolection-
moulded surround; several 2-panel doors, some in architraves;4-flight dogleg
staircase with moulded closed string, grip handrail and some original barley-
sugar balusters.

Attached outbuildings to rear not of special interest.


Listing NGR: NZ1707716809

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.