History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Selaby Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Gainford, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5597 / 54°33'35"N

Longitude: -1.7646 / 1°45'52"W

OS Eastings: 415317

OS Northings: 518303

OS Grid: NZ153183

Mapcode National: GBR JH3Q.R7

Mapcode Global: WHC5L.VNW9

Entry Name: Selaby Hall

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1121117

English Heritage Legacy ID: 111078

Location: Gainford, County Durham, DL2

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Gainford

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Gainford

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Gainford

Listing Text

NZ 11 NE GAINFORD SELABY


6/126 Selaby Hall
14.9.66

II


Country house. Probably mid C17 with major additions c.1790 and alterations
in early C20. Roughcast masonry, graduated green slate roofs with roughcast
stacks. Main block c.1790 with mid C17 wing attached to right rear.

2-storey, 7-bay front with bowed 3-bay centre. Ground floor has low plinth,
sill band and mainly renewed 12-pane sashes with blind boxes; renewed 9- and
12-pane sashes, with projecting sills, above. Continuous eaves cornice. Low-
pitched hipped roof with 4 corniced ridge stacks. 5-bay left return with
bowed 3-bay centre; ground floor has 3 elongated 15-pane sashes. 3-bay right
return has circular towers to front and rear; mainly renewed 12-pane sashes.
Rear tower has C20 6-panel'door. Towers have low-pitched conical roofs.

2-storey rear wing has 4 irregularly-spaced bays. Double chamfered mullioned
windows of 2- and 3-lights have Gothick glazing with round-arched heads
containing Y-tracery. C20 single-storey addition at left. Continuous eaves
cornice. Roof, hipped to right, as 2 ridge stacks.

Interior: rear wing has doorway with chamfered reveal and four-centred head.
Main block has early Cl9 6-panel doors and window shutters.

Outbuildings attached to left return and rear not of special interest.


Listing NGR: NZ1531718303

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.