This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.593 / 54°35'34"N
Longitude: -1.3151 / 1°18'54"W
OS Eastings: 444349
OS Northings: 522189
OS Grid: NZ443221
Mapcode National: GBR MH8B.2B
Mapcode Global: WHD6R.RTYB
Entry Name: The Hermitage
Listing Date: 19 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121124
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59352
Location: Stockton-on-Tees, TS20
Electoral Ward/Division: Norton North
Built-Up Area: Stockton-on-Tees
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Norton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 4422 SW NORTON THE GREEN
19.1.51 No 28 (The Hermitage)
Formerly the Grammar School and facing the old line of Mill Lane. Now forms
a long-stop on the North-West corner of the Green. Reputedly of mediaeval
origins, supposedly a residence for the canons of St Mary's Church which was
collegiate. Fine vaulted collar anyway, even if the ground floor is probably
C17. Mostly C18 and early C19. Two storeys and 3 windows with a tall single
storey later 3-window schoolroom wing. Ground floor of main building is ashlar,
roughcast above, covering the brick modillion cornice above ground floor.
Later glazed sash windows; glazing bars in wing. West gable end has blocked
mullion window. Pantiled roof, hipped to West; large central stack. School
room wing has fall hipped pantiled roof. Two storey, one-window extension to
North, gabled and with kneelers.
Listing NGR: NZ4434722189
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings