This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5642 / 54°33'50"N
Longitude: -1.6439 / 1°38'37"W
OS Eastings: 423124
OS Northings: 518828
OS Grid: NZ231188
Mapcode National: GBR JHYN.XN
Mapcode Global: WHC5N.QJDW
Entry Name: Walworth Castle
Listing Date: 6 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121175
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110911
Location: Walworth, Darlington, DL2
Civil Parish: Walworth
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Heighington
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 2318 WALWORTH WALWORTH
16/139 Walworth Castle
Mansion now hotel. Circa 1600, possibly by Thomas Holt for Thomas Jennison,
incorporating an earlier structure; internal alterations c.1740; early C19
north range; west wing refronted l864. Partly-rendered limestone rubble;
snecked stone west front; Welsh slate roofs(not visible); brick and stone
chimney stacks. Originally reversed U-plan; north range across rear enclosing
South front: 3-storey, 5-bay centre flanked by 4-storey round angle towers.
West tower and bay west of straight joint possibly early C16 with earlier
features. C19 central doorway and cross windows; four 3-light mullioned-and-
transomed windows on top floor. Moulded parapet. Towers have cross windows
and identical 3-light windows on top floor. Earlier features (loops, narrow
trefoil- and round-headed windows) on west tower.
Long, complex east wing with C17 features. 3-storey, 3-bay section with 6-light
window on top floor. 2-storey section: central canted bay window with latticed
casements and iron bars; tall flanking external chimneys; continuous string
below parapet; 2-storey canted bay window on one-bay rear end.
Refaced 2-storey west wing with C19. features: cross and mullioned-and-transomed
windows; off-centre 2-storey canted bay window flanked by 2- and 3-bay sections;
projecting 2-bay south section with Tudor-arched doorway. 3-storey set-back
bay between wing and tower. C17 2-storey canted bay window on one-bay rear end.
2-storey, 5-bay north range with C19 mullioned windows and off-centre doorway.
Courtyard: Some mullioned-and-transomed windows in east and west wings.
3-storey frontispiece, on south range, with paired columns and entablature
(superimposed Tuscan, Ionic and Corinthian orders) and top balustrade; scattered
mullions, sashes and a C19 Venetian stair window.
Interior has important mid C18 features: staircase with turned balusters;
several rooms with Palladian plasterwork, some with Rococo details ( ground-
floor hall, saloon, upstairs room to east, circular rooms in east tower);
reconstructed 1864 staircase.
Short single-storey wing on north, long 2-storey wing on west and late C20
addition in courtyard are not of special interest.
(N. Whittaker, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of County Durham, 1975).
Listing NGR: NZ2312418828
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings