This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5248 / 54°31'29"N
Longitude: -1.5551 / 1°33'18"W
OS Eastings: 428892
OS Northings: 514485
OS Grid: NZ288144
Mapcode National: GBR KJL3.3R
Mapcode Global: WHC5X.2JRJ
Entry Name: The Clock Tower
Listing Date: 17 August 1972
Last Amended: 6 September 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121224
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110734
Location: Darlington, DL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Park East
Built-Up Area: Darlington
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Darlington St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Durham
The Clock Tower
(Formerly listed as the
Town Steeple with
the Market Building, under
NZ 2814 SE 8/110 17.8.72.
1864 by Alfred Waterhouse. Tall, 7-stage tower of pale brick with stone bands
and dressings in Italian Gothic style. At 5th-stage on each face paired printed
arched windows, whose detached shafts have ornamental capitals, give on to decorative
cast iron balconies on heavy stone brackets. Sixth stage is of open pointed arcading.
Clock face above has octagonal corner turrets supporting spirelets around tall
slated spire with lucarnes and vane. Doorway in west face, now blocked, has mouldings
and nook shafts. Adjacent plaque: Presented to the town by Joseph Pease, 1864,
Architect Alfred F Waterhouse. On north side a 2-storey abutting building of similar
materials has had large shop windows inserted on both ground and 1st floors.
Listing NGR: NZ2889214485
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings