This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5236 / 54°31'24"N
Longitude: -1.555 / 1°33'18"W
OS Eastings: 428897
OS Northings: 514345
OS Grid: NZ288143
Mapcode National: GBR KJL4.46
Mapcode Global: WHC5X.2KSJ
Entry Name: Fountain in South East Corner of Public Garden
Listing Date: 6 September 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121277
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110658
Location: Darlington, DL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Park East
Built-Up Area: Darlington
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Darlington St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Durham
1. (North Side)
Fountain in south-east
corner of Public Garden
NZ 2814 SE 8/39
Mid C19. Shallow terra-cotta bowl, with guilloche moulding below a scalloped
run and lotus leaf pattern on underside, rests on a stem with acanthus leaf moulding. This is supported on a carved octagonal stone base of more modern appearance, and the whole is set in a modern square pool with brick side walls. Plaque on west side: "This fountain was erected in 1858 at the top of Tubwell
Row and later moved to Green Park. It was moved to the present site in 1970 as
a gift from the North of England Newspapers to mark the centenary of the
Northern Echo first published in Darlington on first January 1870".
Listing NGR: NZ2889714344
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings