This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7744 / 54°46'27"N
Longitude: -1.5803 / 1°34'49"W
OS Eastings: 427096
OS Northings: 542241
OS Grid: NZ270422
Mapcode National: GBR KFD7.N9
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.P8P7
Entry Name: 50, South Street
Listing Date: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121340
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110512
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Margaret of Antioch
Church of England Diocese: Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE SOUTH STREET
NZ 2742 SE (West side)
14/454 No. 50
House. Dated 1859. English garden wall bond brick with snecked sandstone
plinth and ashlar quoins and dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof with
yellow terracotta crestings. Tudor style. 2 storeys and attics; 2 bays.
Ledged boarded partly-glazed door at left in chamfered Tudor-arched surround;
4-centred arch to right of that contains 9-panelled door, with Gothic tracery
and 2 cusped lights above, in moulded surround with tongue-stopped chamfer
and hexagonal stops to label mould. Carved spandrels to doors and to paired
sashes at right in irregular alternate-block jambs, sloping sills and carved
Tudor heads. Oriel above, dated 1859 on stone bracket, has pierced quatrefoil
balustrade. Sill string curves down to square stops flanking window heads.
Narrow paired sashes above door have chamfered alternate-block surrounds and
prominent bracketed sills. Continuous eaves string with animal-head stops.
Brick parapet has sloped stone coping terminating in gablets with fleur-de-lis
finials. Steeply-pitched roofs of gabled dormers have patterned bargeboards,
that at right flanked by shafts supporting vine-carved cornice. Roof has
fleur-de-lis crestings; single left front ridge chimney with castellated
yellow octagonal pot; quoins to right chimney; both with sloped copings.
Listing NGR: NZ2709642241
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings