This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.776 / 54°46'33"N
Longitude: -1.5734 / 1°34'24"W
OS Eastings: 427536
OS Northings: 542424
OS Grid: NZ275424
Mapcode National: GBR KFG6.4Q
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.S6XZ
Entry Name: Elvet Bridge
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121355
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110443
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE RIVER WEAR
NZ 2742 SE
15/388 Elvet Bridge
Bridge. Early C13 incorporating one arch of late C12 work. Central 3 arches
renewed after 1771 flood; north side (upstream) doubled in width in 1804-5.
Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. 7 river arches, 2 land arches
on west and one on east. East arch stepped southwards is round and chamfered;
other south arches are double-chamfered and 2-centred, with 5 ribs of which
the outer is chamfered; northern extension has cutwaters alternately sloping-
topped and hipped, flanking 2-centred arches. Hipped south cutwaters. Band at
road bed level; parapet with low rounded coping; stone steps alongside on north
side at west end. 2 west land arches are beneath present road; the easternmost
of them adapted as house of correction in 1632 has iron grilles over boarded
doors. South-east arch surpported medieval chapel of St. Andrew, of which part
may survive under No. 97 Elvet Bridge (q.v.).
A scheduled ancient monument.
Listing NGR: NZ2753642424
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings