History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Salvation Army Citadel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Elvet and Gilesgate, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7755 / 54°46'31"N

Longitude: -1.5745 / 1°34'28"W

OS Eastings: 427470

OS Northings: 542369

OS Grid: NZ274423

Mapcode National: GBR KFF6.XX

Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.S7FC

Entry Name: Salvation Army Citadel

Listing Date: 19 October 1962

Last Amended: 10 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1121360

English Heritage Legacy ID: 110452

Location: County Durham, DH1

County: County Durham

Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate

Built-Up Area: Durham

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Find accommodation in
Durham

Listing Text

DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE SADDLER STREET
NZ 2742 SW (East side)

14/397 Nos. 47 and 48
(Salvation Army Citadel)
19.10.62 (formerly listed as
Nos. 48 and 49)

GV II*

Assembly rooms and shops, incorporating part of North Gate of Castle; now
Salvation Army meeting hall and university department. Medieval gate. Circa
1800 assembly rooms with ground floor alterations. Ground floor rendered;
first floor English bond brick with painted ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof
with brick chimneys. Circa 1900 shop at left has recessed central door; upper
glazing bars in shop windows. Central c.1800 shop has partly-glazed door and
2-pane overlight at left, and shop window with 3 rows of 6 panes at right, under
patterned shallow segmental lunette. Assembly rooms entrance at right has
many-panelled door in Greek Doric doorcase with columns and entablature, flanking
narrow sashes with projecting stone sills. First floor has 3 large sash windows
above shops, with wedge stone lintels, projecting stone sills, and glazing bars;
wide blank right bay has painted SALVATION ARMY in aedicule. Low-pitched roof
has end brick chimney.

Interior: wide open-string stair has swept wreath and curtail, round handrail
on stick balusters. Reported to contain fragments of North Gate barbican in
basement. Graded for medieval parts.


Listing NGR: NZ2747642386

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.