This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7747 / 54°46'29"N
Longitude: -1.5765 / 1°34'35"W
OS Eastings: 427343
OS Northings: 542284
OS Grid: NZ273422
Mapcode National: GBR KFF7.H5
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.R7HY
Entry Name: Cosin's Library (University Library)
Listing Date: 19 October 1962
Last Amended: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121382
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110407
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE PALACE GREEN
NZ 2742 SW (West side)
14/351 Cosin's Library
19.10.62 (University Library)
(formerly listed as
CV II* Cousin's Library)
Library. 1667-8 by John Longstaffe for Bishop Cosin who gave it for public
use. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; roofs of sandstone
flags. 2 storeys, one wide bay. Central door with 3 over 3 elliptical-
headed panels in stone architrave under open and broken segmental scrolled
pediment which contains coat of arms. 3-light stone mullioned-and-transomed
window above has segmental-headed lights. Eaves string; high parapet, altered
in C19 from battlements to conceal heightened roof pitch, has roll-moulded
coping. 2-storey canted porch at right, added mid C19, has door in elliptical-
headed surround. 3 elliptical-headed windows above.
Interior: internal porch has rear screen panelled in same style as
door; inserted gallery on octagonal wood columns, with spiral stair of wood
and iron. Bookcases, with dentilled cornices over frieze painted with
portraits of philosophers and other famous men, alternate with narrow bays,
now filled with shelves, which have swag decoration in segmental pediments
on cornices. Scrolled pediment over internal porch has swag and coat of arms.
1845 stone chimney piece in Tudor style in memory of Bishop Thorpe. Small
room added at rear in 1670 by Longstaffe.
A scheduled ancient monument.
Listing NGR: NZ2734342284
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings