This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7746 / 54°46'28"N
Longitude: -1.5751 / 1°34'30"W
OS Eastings: 427427
OS Northings: 542266
OS Grid: NZ274422
Mapcode National: GBR KFF7.S7
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.S832
Entry Name: Bishop Cosin's Hall
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121384
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110414
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE PALACE GREEN
NZ 2742 SW (East side)
14/359 Bishop Cosin's Hall
House, originally Archdeacons's Inn, later university hall of residence.
Circa 1700. Brick of varied English garden wall bond, with rendered brick
and painted ashlar dressings; stone flagged roof; banded brick chimneys.
3 storeys, 7 bays. Double half-glazed door in third bay in large elaborate
case: panelled curved reveal to door under rococo shell in round arch; this
flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters supporting entablatures with leaf-carved
pulvinated frieze; from these spring a high segmental modillioned arch,
its tympanum filled with leaf carving. Sash windows with fine glazing bars
have shaped brick aprons and projecting stone sills, and stone-keyed flat
brick arches. Parapet has flat stone coping. Darker brick at floor levels.
4 transverse ridge chimneys. Round cast-iron tie-ends. Sun and Phoenix
Interior converted to flats; central stair has winders and long landings;
balustrade renewed. Some 2-panelled doors with architraves.
Listing NGR: NZ2742742266
Other nearby listed buildings