This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7731 / 54°46'23"N
Longitude: -1.5772 / 1°34'38"W
OS Eastings: 427295
OS Northings: 542106
OS Grid: NZ272421
Mapcode National: GBR KFF7.BR
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.R945
Entry Name: Cathedral Cloister West Range
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121389
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110423
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE PALACE GREEN
NZ 2742 SW (South side, off)
14/368 Cathedral cloister
6/5/52 west range
West range of cathedral cloister; comprising dormitory and undercroft; now
part of library, with vestries, treasury and restaurant beneath. C12
dormitory door and part of cloister wall; c.1400 rebuilding; 1849-53 conversion
to library. Circa 1400 work carried out by John Middleton, then by Peter Dryng,
with Ellis Harpour as roof carpenter, for Bishop Skirlaw. 1849 conversion by
P.C. Hardwick for Dean and Chapter library. Restoration of undercroft in C19
by Salvin, and in C20 by George Pace then Ian Curry. Coursed squared sandstone
with ashlar dressings; roof not visible. Basement and one high storey; 12
bays. Round arch of 3 orders, the inner 2 on shafts with cushion-capitals and
the outer, now altered, with impost blocks, and varied C12 mouldings; deeply-
moulded 2-centred arch to undercroft; further arched and square-headed vestry
doorways. At south end a wide 2-centred moulded arch of 3 orders to passage
through undercroft. Cloister: 9 arches with intersecting C18 tracery, on
dwarf walls with low rounded coping. Gabled buttresses; roll-moulded parapet.
Above the cloister are 15 paired cusped square-headed lights for carrels, under
6 tall 2-light windows with 2-centred arched and Perpendicular tracery under
dripmoulds; battlemented parapet.
Interior: rib-vaulted undercroft of 12 bays. Round columns with moulded
capitals and plinths. Dormitory has massive arched tie beams on wall posts
and stone corbels; struts to principals; cusped ridge beam.
Source: W. Page V.C.H. 1928 reprint, 1968 p. 130.
Listing NGR: NZ2729842116
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings