This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7824 / 54°46'56"N
Longitude: -1.585 / 1°35'6"W
OS Eastings: 426785
OS Northings: 543132
OS Grid: NZ267431
Mapcode National: GBR KFC4.MF
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.M2F2
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121396
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110343
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Neville's Cross
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE NORTH ROAD
NZ 24 SE (East side)
4/291 Church of St Cuthbert
Parish church. 1858-63 by E.R. Robson. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar
plinth and dressings; dark slate roof with diaper patterns in light slate.
Early English style with French influence.
North-west tower: nave and chancel with south aisle; north vestry. 3-stage
tower has paired west doors flanking central statue of St. Cuthbert, in wide
2-centred arch with flower-carved band under dripmould; tympanum has carved
Christ in Majesty flanked by symbols of Evangelists. Second stage has 2 tall
slits under gabled dripmoulds; top stage has tall shafted belfry opening of
3 orders under zig-zag moulding. Strings at each stage, the second crocketed
and the third moulded; square stair turret at left has arcaded second stage
under tall conical stone roof; saddle-back tower roof with crocketed gable
copings. West front set back has large wheel window over 3 lancets, separated
by a buttress from the aisle. Aisle windows are groups of 2 or 3 lancets
with foiled roundels over. North nave windows have paired cusped lancets
under quatrefoils. 5 similar groups in apse. Drip strings, that on nave below
foils. Buttresses, those on aisle massive. Steeply-pitched roof, conical over
apse. O.S. bench mark on north face of west buttress.
INTERIOR: brick with ashlar band and dressings, painted; waggon roof with
king-post trusses. 3-bay arcade has pink granite columns with crocketed
capitals; paired bracketed shafts on square ashlar piers, unpainted, at either
end; zig-zag moulding to 2-centred arches and to narrower arch to south-east
organ chamber. Tower has ribbed vault to porch with roll-moulded door whose
inner arch has 4 orders. Windows have rere arches, those in aisles cusped,
on colonettes, those in apse on Frosterley marble shafts. Dripmoulds. Aumbry
in north chancel wall and sedilia in south, the latter crocketed. Octagonal
font on 4 shafts has banded flat cover. Glass in west windows has Te Deum;
signed in lower lancet T.E. CURTIS / WARD AND HUGHES LONDON 1899. West aisle
has 2 windows by the same firm; all commemorate members of Barnes family.
East bay of aisle has 3 lights showing the miracle of loaves and fishes, the
Light of the World and the Good Shepherd, signed WAILES AND STRANG ARTISTS
Newcastle upon Tyne; to members of the Cherry family.
Listing NGR: NZ2678543132
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings