This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7736 / 54°46'24"N
Longitude: -1.5687 / 1°34'7"W
OS Eastings: 427840
OS Northings: 542159
OS Grid: NZ278421
Mapcode National: GBR KFH7.5L
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.W85V
Entry Name: Durham Prison Chapel
Listing Date: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121407
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110367
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE OLD ELVET
NZ 2742 SE (South side, off)
15/314 Durham Prison Chapel
Prison chapel. Probably circa 1840, by Bonomi and Cory. Coursed squared
sandstone with rendered plinth and ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof has stone
gable coping. One storey, 5 bays. Flat stone lintels to boarded doors in first
and last bays. Round-arched windows have renewed glazing under stepped voussoirs.
Right return has Venetian east window with coloured cross and roundel with head
of Christ in painted glass; raised stone surround. All windows have prominent
projecting stone sills. Gutter corbels. Roof has 2 conical ridge vents; gable
coping has roll finials.
Interior: 11 bays between laminated wood arches of 4 leaves, bolted and tied
with metal rods and straps to eaves, and resting on moulded stone corbels at
mid-wall height. Similar corbels support west gallery roof which also rests on
2 cast iron narrow columns with decorative capitals. Panelled west vestibule
has pierced cross decoration.
2-storey left extension with hipped roof in same materials.
One-storey left extension not of interest.
Listing NGR: NZ2784042159
Other nearby listed buildings