This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7736 / 54°46'25"N
Longitude: -1.5745 / 1°34'28"W
OS Eastings: 427472
OS Northings: 542162
OS Grid: NZ274421
Mapcode National: GBR KFF7.YK
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.S8GS
Entry Name: St Mary Le Bow Heritage Centre
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Last Amended: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121424
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110304
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE NORTH BAILEY
NZ 2742 SW (East side)
14/252 St. Mary le Bow
6/5/52 Heritage Centre
(formerly listed as
Church of St.Mary-
Parish church, now heritage centre. Circa 1685 rebuilding of medieval structure;
1702 tower; C19 repairs and restoration. Coursed squared sandstone with
ashlar plinth and dressings. West tower. 3-bay nave and narrower 2-bay chancel
with north organ chamber. Decorated chancel windows. Perpendicular east and
nave windows. 3-stage tower projects slightly and has chamfered round arch with
dropped keystone under drip mould; round-headed niche above has 2-centred-arched
drip mould; 2-light round-headed belfry openings; battlemented parapet. Stepped
buttresses, diagonal at corners with pinnacles; battlemented parapets to nave
Interior: plaster above high wainscoting with panels and dentilled cornice;
shallow C15 king-post roof trusses; battlemented frieze. Flat 4-centred chancel
arch springing from walls. Stone newel stair in tower. Chancel panelling of
1731 has Corinthian pilasters, cherubs' heads, crossed palms and modillioned
cornice. Panelled west gallery of 1742. Rood screen of 1707 has much leaf and
flower carving of high quality. Communion rail has fat turned balusters. Stall
ends have high relief passion-fruit and flower carving, and poppyheads. C18
font in chancel; C19 Frosterley marble font in west baptistry. Monuments
include marble slab with coat of arms of Thomas Wilkinson and members of his
family, died 1718 to 1733.
Chancery court bench, dated to reign of James I, originated in Palace Green.
Source: W. Page V.C.H. Durham III 1928, reprint 1968, 137-141.
Listing NGR: NZ2747242160
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings