This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6886 / 54°41'18"N
Longitude: -1.5541 / 1°33'14"W
OS Eastings: 428842
OS Northings: 532705
OS Grid: NZ288327
Mapcode National: GBR KGL7.B1
Mapcode Global: WHC54.3F70
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 9 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121472
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112229
Location: Ferryhill, County Durham, DL17
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Ferryhill
Built-Up Area: Ferryhill
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Cornforth and FerryHill
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 23 SE FERRYHILL CHURCH LANE
6/22 Church of St Luke
Parish church. 1853 by G. Pickering; 1851 decision to replace 1820 chapel by
Bonomi. Coursed limestone rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings, plinth and
quoins; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings and stone ridge. Nave with
north porch; chancel with north vestry. Early English style. Steeply-gabled
porch has boarded door with elaborate hinges in deep moulded surround with
head-stopped dripmould. 4-bay nave has lancets, paired in second- bay from
east, and plate tracery in 2-light window in east bay on north, and in
westernmost bay on south; cusped lancets in set-back chancel, stepped in east
elevation, and tracery in west bay on south. High gabled west bellcote with
central buttress. Coped buttresses in nave, gabled angle buttresses to
chancel. Small stone turret at junction of vestry and chancel roofs.
Interior shows painted plaster above boarded dado; wall-posts (stone-corbelled,
and longer between windows), support arch-braced collars with struts to
principal rafters, and short king posts. Double-chamfered chancel arch, the
inner on nail-head-patterned shafts on head corbels. Rere-arches to chancel
windows. 1952 west gallery with organ. Glass includes 1953 L.C. Evetts east
windows. Gothic-style carved wood altar with symbols of Passion in front
panels. Octagonal stone pedestal font with single blank shield, and wrought
iron straps on wood cover. Roll-moulded squared ends on pews. South nave
wall monument to members of Tiplady family, died 1789 and 1809: marble with
pilasters and fret panel below cornice; transferred from earlier chapel.
Sources: W. Fordyce, The History and Antiquities of the County Palatinate of
Durham, 1857; p.441.
Ferryhill Village Women's Institute, History of Ferryhill Village, (typescript
in Ferryhill Library).
Church vestry minute book of 1851 reference to plans by Mr. Pickering.
Listing NGR: NZ2884232705
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings