This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6533 / 54°39'11"N
Longitude: -1.4485 / 1°26'54"W
OS Eastings: 435680
OS Northings: 528824
OS Grid: NZ356288
Mapcode National: GBR LGBM.6Q
Mapcode Global: WHD6H.Q9FL
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 9 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121482
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112148
Location: Sedgefield, County Durham, TS21
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Sedgefield
Built-Up Area: Sedgefield
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Upper Skerne
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 3528 SEDGEFIELD FRONT STREET
(South side, off)
9/1/68 Church of St. Edmund
Parish church. Circa 1254 aisled nave; c.1290 transepts and chancel; c.1490
tower; C19 porch; north vestry and organ chamber of 1913. Dressed and rubble
masonry with graduated green slate roofs. Perpendicular west tower; Early
English aisled nave, with south porch, and north and south transepts; chancel
with north vestry and organ chamber.
Diagonally-buttressed, 3-stage tower has stair turret on south wall; square
lights to second stage; louvred, 3-centred belfry openings; embattled parapet
with octagonal turrets and spirelets. 3-bay nave has buttressed aisles and C19
Decorated windows; original lancet west of gabled porch; late C13 pointed door
with nailhead in north aisle. Low-pitched aisle roofs and steeply-pitched nave
roof. Buttressed north transept has 5-light north window with replaced
curvilinear tracery (similar windows in south transept and east end); 3-light
plate-tracery window to west return. Low-pitched transept roofs. Lower, 3-bay
chancel has blocked priest's door and angle-buttressed east end with 2 decayed
C18 wall monuments.
Interior: spacious, pointed 3-bay nave arcades on quatrefoil piers with shaft
rings and carved capitals; west respond capitals have flanking head corbels;
arches are double-chamfered with nailhead hoodmoulds to nave. Tall, depressed
pointed tower arch. Transverse arches at east end of aisles, north and south
transept arches and chancel arch have similar details to nave arcade. North
transept has piscina and C15 oak roof. South transept has 2 piscinae and an
aumbry. Inner order of chancel arch removed. Fittings and monuments: medieval
grave slabs under north chancel wall and at top of tower stairs; brasses near
pulpit and in north and south aisle walls; C14 male and female recumbent effigies
in south transept; several C18 wall monuments in chancel. 1707 octagonal,
fluted marble font. Circa 1707 Baroque organ case. Circa 1638 chancel woodwork
possibly by Robert Barker for Bishop Cosin; c.1670 choir panelling for Rev. Denis
Granville: oak chancel screen, stalls, sanctuary and reredos panelling in eclectic
style with strapwork and rich poppyheads, garlands, cherubs etc. Elaborate chancel
screen with pinnacled canopies. Later altar rails and table in C17 style.
Pilastered choir panelling. Glass: 1863 north aisle window of Sacraments by
Lavers and Barraud; abstract east window by L.C. Evetts.
(C.C. Hodges, "Sedgefield Church", Archaeologia Aeliana, New Series Volume XVI,
Listing NGR: NZ3567928827
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings