This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.6683 / 54°40'5"N
Longitude: -1.451 / 1°27'3"W
OS Eastings: 435507
OS Northings: 530498
OS Grid: NZ355304
Mapcode National: GBR LG9G.NB
Mapcode Global: WHD69.PX8K
Entry Name: Church of St Luke, Winterton Hospital
Listing Date: 24 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121490
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112170
Location: Sedgefield, County Durham, TS21
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Sedgefield
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Upper Skerne
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 33 SE SEDGEFIELD SALTER'S LANE
(West side, off)
2/55 Church of St. Luke,
Hospital church. 1884 by William Crozier Junior. Light-red engineering brick
in English garden wall bond with some constructional, yellow-brick polychromy;
sandstone dressings; Welsh slate roof. Early English style with lancets under
hoodmoulds. Aisled nave with west narthex and vestries; chancel with north
vestry and south organ chamber.
6-bay nave; aisles have brick sill string and stepped-buttressed bays each with
3 stepped lancets; similar clerestory has small, paired lancets under continuous
hoodmould; steeply-pitched roof has crested ridge, coped gables and squat, gabled
east bellcote. West end: single-storey, 5-bay narthex has taller, gabled central
bay, with pointed-arched doorway and trefoil above, flanked by buttressed bays
with paired and single lancets. Nave has 3 stepped lancets with single, flanking
lancets and clasping, gableted buttresses with pinnacles; aisle returns have
2-light plate-tracery windows.
Lower and narrower 2-bay chancel with gabled vestry and 2-bay organ chamber.
Apsidal east end with sill string, 5 lancets under continuous hoodmould, dentilled
brick eaves band and steeply-pitched roof. East return of organ chamber has
paired lancets with cinquefoil above.
Interior has restrained polychromy. Nave arcades have 6 double-chamfered, pointed
arches on Greek-cross-plan piers with attached corner colonettes; 6 scissor-braced
trusses on corbels. 3 steps up to chancel with encaustic-tiled floor and brass
gas lamps on walls. Semi-octagonal stone pulpit with pink marble colonettes.
Listing NGR: NZ3550730498
Other nearby listed buildings