This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6441 / 54°38'38"N
Longitude: -2.1327 / 2°7'57"W
OS Eastings: 391530
OS Northings: 527670
OS Grid: NY915276
Mapcode National: GBR FGKR.20
Mapcode Global: WHB3X.6JNM
Entry Name: Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 20 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121560
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111958
Location: Newbiggin, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Newbiggin
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Middleton-in-Teesdale
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NY 92 NW
14/156 (inset) Methodist Chapel
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. 1759, enlarged 1860. Pecked sandstone ashlar
front, rubble left return and rear with ashlar dressings and millstone grit
quoins; plinth. Roof of graduated green slates. One high storey, 3 bays.
Wide step to central 4-panel double door in keyed round-headed surround;
impost blocks form base of high corniced panel over door, inscribed WESLEYAN
CHAPEL ERECTED 1760 ENLARGED 1860, in Roman capitals. High flanking windows
have keyed round heads with voussoirs,and stone sills, all projecting. Left
return has blocked window with flat stone lintel; rear has 2 round-headed
windows; all windows have glazing bars. Interior shows west pulpit with
single side steps, and short communion rail on flower-patterned wrought iron
balustrade, brought from Bowlees Methodist Chapel. Simple pulpit, with raised
fielded panelling, in north-west corner original to the building although at
one time used at Low Houses. Tiered pews, boarded dado and walls are of 1860,
as are the ceiling cornice and 4 fret-carved round wood ventilation panels.
Large cast iron free-standing stove "The Romesse.", by Smith and Wellstood
Limited, Columbian Stove Works, Bonnybridge, Scotland. C19 coloured glass
in top lights of windows.
The 1860 enlargement seems to have consisted of raising the eaves and
installing the tiered pews rather than an increase in area. John Wesley
Source: H.L. Beadle, The Beginning of Methodism in Upper Teesdale, 1980.
Listing NGR: NY9153027670
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings