This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5219 / 54°31'18"N
Longitude: -1.8395 / 1°50'22"W
OS Eastings: 410483
OS Northings: 514081
OS Grid: NZ104140
Mapcode National: GBR HJL4.JS
Mapcode Global: WHC5R.QL7S
Entry Name: Thorpe Hall
Listing Date: 28 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121660
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111785
Location: Wycliffe with Thorpe, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Wycliffe with Thorpe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Wycliffe St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
NZ 11 SW WYCLIFFE WITH THORPE THORPE
7/198 Thorpe Hall
Country house, c.1740 incorporating earlier fabric in rear wings; alterations
internally and to rear wings in third quarter of C19. Ashlar front, rubble
or roughly-coursed squared stone elsewhere; cut dressings; graduated Lakeland
slate roofs. Plan: ranges around small square court, roofed over in C19;
north range extends to west. Classical style.
East front 2 and 3 storeys, 2 + 3 + 2 bays, symmetrical. 3-storey centre has
plinth, ground floor sill band, moulded eaves cornice and parapet with recessed
panels and moulded coping. Central fielded-panel double doors under 2-pane
fanlight. 4-pane sash windows, round-arched on ground floor, except for
renewed 12-pane sashes on 2nd floor. Ground-floor openings have archivolts
and moulded imposts; door and upper-floor windows have triple keystones.
Coped gables with stepped-and-corniced end stacks. 2-storey end parts similar,
but with moulded 1st-floor cornice. Old rainwater pipes and heads.
Left return: On right is gabled end of east range, with 2 arched ground-floor
windows; centre part has flush-panelled door in architrave with cornice, under
large stair window with archivolt on moulded imposts and renewed glazing. To
left is gabled end of west range with later C19 canted bay; set back on far
left are 3 west bays of 3-storey north range, with 4-pane sashes.
Rear of right return 3 storeys, 7 irregular bays. On right of left end bay
are irregular quoins of probably medieval range. Various sash windows; one
under re-set lintel dated 'May 1736' with initials C.W.
Interior: Fielded-panel doors in architraves with pulvinated friezes and
cornices. C18 cornices and pedimented overmantels in rooms flanking entrance
hall; northern (business room) also has chair rail with Greek key frieze and
domed fireside cupboard. Dining room has rich cornice altered in C19 and art
nouveau door plates. Library has C19 features in C18 style. Cut-string dogleg
stair with richly-carved umbrella balusters and newel, moulded and wreathed
handrail, curtail step and panelled undersides to stone treads. Stair hall
has panelled dado, pedimented surround to stair window and rich cornice.
(Behind stoothing on west wall is blocked window with ovolo-section mullion).
Bedrooms in central block of east range have moulded stone fireplaces with
plaster overmantels; and cornices. Former kitchen has segmental fireplace
arch in raised and chamfered surround.
Historical note: A house on the site was probably built by the Wycliffe
family in the C13. In 1743 it was sold by the Inglebys to Christopher
Wilkinson, their former tenant; he may have already made some alterations
(c.f. west range doorhead), and builtthe new east front after his purchase.
Listing NGR: NZ1048314081
Other nearby listed buildings