History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wycliffe Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Wycliffe with Thorpe, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5238 / 54°31'25"N

Longitude: -1.8223 / 1°49'20"W

OS Eastings: 411599

OS Northings: 514293

OS Grid: NZ115142

Mapcode National: GBR HJQ4.83

Mapcode Global: WHC5R.ZKDB

Entry Name: Wycliffe Old Rectory

Listing Date: 28 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1121663

English Heritage Legacy ID: 111794

Location: Wycliffe with Thorpe, County Durham, DL12

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Wycliffe with Thorpe

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Wycliffe St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Wycliffe

Listing Text

NZ 11 SW WYCLIFFE WITH THORPE WYCLIFFE

7/203 Wycliffe Old
Rectory

GV II


Rectory, 1733. Rendered and colour-washed stone with cut dressings; graduated
stone slate roof. Rectangular block with projecting wings at each end of
south front; and north-east wing.

South elevation 2 storeys, 1 + 3 + 1 bays. 7 steps up to central Tuscan porch,
enclosing renewed 6-panel door with 3-pane overlight. Flanking 30-pane sashes
with segmental-arched heads; 12-pane sashes above. Lower projecting wings:
each has steps up to 32-pane French window; and 16-pane sash above. 12-pane
sashes, some renewed, on 1-bay inner returns. Hip-ended roof. Main block
roof is hipped to the right and has a coped gable to the left; left end stack
and 3 low ridge stacks. 4-bay right return shows 12-pane sashes on both
floors. Tall rear elevation above basement has scattered fenestration
including tall arched stair window, with intersecting glazing bars, and three
16-pane sashes.

Interior: Fielded-panel doors in moulded doorcases with paterae; folding
panelled shutters on H-hinges; moulded cornices; dogleg closed-string stair
with urn-on-vase balusters,square fluted newels and moulded handrail.

Two 1st floor rooms at the west end of the Old Rectory are now incorporated
into the West House.

Historical note: the house was built at the sole expense of Thomas Robinson,
rector 1731-69.

H.D. Pritchett, 'John D. Wycliffe' (reprint of articles in 'Darlington and
Stockton Times') 1935, p.1.


Listing NGR: NZ1160014295

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.