This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5075 / 54°30'26"N
Longitude: -1.8063 / 1°48'22"W
OS Eastings: 412637
OS Northings: 512477
OS Grid: NZ126124
Mapcode National: GBR HJT9.QZ
Mapcode Global: WHC5S.7Y3W
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121664
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111698
Location: Hutton Magna, County Durham, DL11
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Hutton Magna
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Hutton Magna St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
NZ 11 SW HUTTON MAGNA HUTTON MAGNA VILLAGE
7/109 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. 1878 by Austin, Johnson and Hicks, incorporating some features
from medieval church. Rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; graduated
Lakeland slate roof. Nave and chancel, with south-west porch and north-east
vestry. Free late C13 style.
Nave has trefoil-headed west window and coped gable carrying bellcote with
twin segment-headed openings; swept cross-gabled coping with wrought-iron
finial. Porch has double-chamfered arch and coped gable on trefoiled kneelers,
with cross finial.C19 boarded door, with foliate hinges, in re-set C12 round
arch with chamfered imposts and hood with head stops. Two 2-light windows
east of porch; three 2-light windows on north, the eastern c.1260 with 2 lancet
lights and a vesica over. Chancel south wall slightly recessed, below
carved cornice; 2- and 3-light windows; sill string, stepped up to east.
Shallow buttresses flank 3-light east window; coped gable with cross fleury
finial. North vestry window re-uses medieval head: 2 trefoiled lights with
circle over, and hoodmould.
Interior: Plastered, no structural division. Boarded wagon roof, with carved
wall-plate in chancel. Carved chancel screen. Wood-panelled east end with
painted scenes from the life of Christ, and central carved stone reredos.
Sanctuary has marble steps and tiled floor. Re-set medieval moulded piscina
bowl. Glass: late C19 Nativity in chancel south-west window. Old brass lamp
fittings still in use. Set into west-wall an incised C14 slab with cusped
cross, sword, blacksmith's tongs and hammer. In porch an old font bowl and,
built into walls, two small C12 window heads and C13/14 headstone or finial
Listing NGR: NZ1263712477
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings