History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rokeby, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5195 / 54°31'10"N

Longitude: -1.8894 / 1°53'21"W

OS Eastings: 407257

OS Northings: 513808

OS Grid: NZ072138

Mapcode National: GBR HJ75.RN

Mapcode Global: WHB4L.YNGM

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1121673

English Heritage Legacy ID: 111712

Location: Rokeby, County Durham, DL12

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Rokeby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Find accommodation in
Rokeby

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

NZ 01 SE ROKEBY A66
(North side)

6/123 Church of St Mary

12.1.67 II

the entry shall be amended to read as follows:-

NZ 01 SE ROKEBY A66
(North side)

6/123 Church of St Mary

12.1.67 II*(Star)

------------------------------------

NZ 01 SE ROKEBY A66
(North side)

6/123 Church of St. Mary

12.1.67
II


Parish Church. Consecrated 1778, probably designed by Sir Thomas Robinson,
chancel and organ chamber added 1877. Squared stone with ashlar plinth, wall
face to sill band, porch and bellcote; chancel rough-faced-stone with ashlar
dressings. Graduated stone slate nave roof, graduated Lakeland slates on C19
parts. Aisleless 3-bay nave with west porch; narrower chancel with south
organ chamber and vestry. Liturgical west end faces south. C18 parts in
Classical style; C19 parts in a hybrid classical/Romanesque.

Central west porch with 5 steps up to panelled double doors under 3-pane
fanlight in round arch on moulded imposts; paterae in spandrels, and pediment.
Flanking blind round-arched windows. Block cornice below pedimented gable
with blind oculus. Bellcote with round arch, pediment and Greek finial cross.
Side walls of nave have 3 plain arched windows with later glazing; similar
cornice.

Chancel and organ chamber/vestry over basements; sill and impost bands, round-
arched windows, 3 stepped in the east end, pedimented gables. Chancel
undercroft has segmental-arched entrance at east end and round-headed slit
windows.

Interior: Groin-vaulted porch; panelled double doors to nave under an arched
3-pane fanlight in raised panel with moulded impost band and cornice.
Panelled-round chancel arch on paired consoles, round arch to organ chamber;
moulded sill band. King-post roofs. Free-standing font by Mason: mahogany,
fluted bowl on slender tripod base. Marble mural tablets in nave: Sir
Septimus Robinson d.1777, by Nollekens; John Sawrey Morritt d.l79l by
Westmacott; J.B.S. Morritt d.1843 and W.J.S. Morritt d.1878.

Historical note: The church is very similar to Robinson's church at Glynde in
Sussex; it was unfurnished when Robinson sold the Rokeby estate in 1769,
when J.S. Morritt commissioned John Carr to complete the work.


Listing NGR: NZ0725713808

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.