This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.4893 / 54°29'21"N
Longitude: -1.8698 / 1°52'11"W
OS Eastings: 408531
OS Northings: 510448
OS Grid: NZ085104
Mapcode National: GBR HJCJ.ZH
Mapcode Global: WHC5Y.7FW8
Entry Name: Church of St. Michael
Listing Date: 28 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121721
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111624
Location: Barningham, County Durham, DL11
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barningham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barningham St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
NZ 0810 BARNINGHAM BARNINGHAM VILLAGE
15/35 Church of
Parish Church. 1816 on medieval site, remodelled 1891 by Pritchett. Rubble
with buttresses of tooled-and-margined stone; ashlar dressings; graduated
Lakeland slate roof. 4-bay preaching box with narrower 2-bay chancel and
west tower; 1891 insertion of arcades, chancel arch and internal divisions
to produce 3-bay aisled nave and chancel flanked by vestries. 1891 remodelling
in a Free C15 style.
Tower has stepped angle buttresses and boarded double doors on south in
double-chamfered pointed arch with hoodmould. Cinquefoil-headed window
above and 2-light belfry openings. Moulded string and corner gargoyles
below embattled parapet with wrought-iron weather vane at south-west corner.
Body of church has stepped buttresses at angles and between bays. 3-light
windows to nave. 2 cinquefoil-headed lights on south of chancel, the eastern
above a priest's door; 2-light windows on each side of east bay. 5-light
east window under coped gable on moulded kneelers with 8-terminal cross
fleury finial. On north 2 boarded basement doors in 1816 pointed arches.
Interior: Plastered; hammer-beam roofs. Arcades have broad 4-centred double-
chamfered arches with hoodmoulds, on octagonal piers with moulded caps and
tall moulded bases. Similar chancel arch with foliage hoodmould stops.
Panelled dado in nave. Late C19 carved chancel screen, panelled wood reredos
and tiled sanctuary floor. Re-set C12 pillar piscina from previous church.
1791 wall tablet with urn to Rev. Matthew More; in north vestry 1839 wall
tablet to William Harry Vane by Davies of Newcastle. Early medieval headstone
cross in sanctuary. East window 1892, Christ reigning and Evangelists, as
memorial to Harry Vane Milbank. Brass candelabra in chancel.
Listing NGR: NZ0853110448
Other nearby listed buildings