This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4876 / 54°29'15"N
Longitude: -1.8733 / 1°52'24"W
OS Eastings: 408302
OS Northings: 510254
OS Grid: NZ083102
Mapcode National: GBR HJCK.73
Mapcode Global: WHC5Y.6G6M
Entry Name: Former Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 28 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121727
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111643
Location: Barningham, County Durham, DL11
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barningham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barningham St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
NZ 0810 BARNINGHAM BARNINGHAM VILLAGE
15/54 Former Methodist
Methodist Chapel dated 1815, converted to house c.1980. Coursed rubble with
roughly-shaped quoins and tooled ashlar dressings; stone slate roof. Gabled
front to street. Railings with foliate heads and moulded standards, and
similar double gates, enclose double flight of steps up to central panelled
double doors under pointed arch. Moulded tablet above with 'WESLEYAN METHODIST
CHAPEL' and date, between tall lancet windows with renewed glazing. All
openings in raised chamfered surrounds. Coped gable on moulded kneelers;
small round opening in apex. Each return shows two 2-light windows with
wooden Y-tracery; in addition there are several blocked openings on the right
return. Small stack at apex of rear gable.
The building is said to have been a barn prior to its conversion to a chapel;
however the architectural features could be explained by mid-C19 remodelling
of the 1815 chapel commemorated by datestone.
Listing NGR: NZ0830210254
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings