This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5072 / 54°30'25"N
Longitude: -1.8749 / 1°52'29"W
OS Eastings: 408198
OS Northings: 512433
OS Grid: NZ081124
Mapcode National: GBR HJBB.W2
Mapcode Global: WHC5R.5ZG4
Entry Name: Eastwood Hall
Listing Date: 28 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121728
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111646
Location: Barningham, County Durham, DL11
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barningham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barningham St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
NZ 01 SE BARNINGHAM EASTWOOD
6/57 Eastwood Hall
House. Late C17, perhaps incorporating earlier work in west wing; east wing
dated 1841 with initials T.W. on rainwater head. Coursed rubble, east wing
roughly-squared stone; cut dressings. Graduated Lakeland slate roof except
for Welsh slates on east wing. East wing in free Tudor style.
South elevation: 2 storeys + attics; late C17 main block 3 bays. Left lower
pent l-bay section is the front of a longer wing, wider at the back. Right
l-bay cross-gabled 1841 wing. Main block: between left bays an old studded
flush-panelled door under segmental arch, in stone surround with moulded
imposts and keystone. 12-pane sash windows in architraves to lower floors;
single stone-surround attic window above door; eaves heightened in Cl9.
Coped gables on moulded kneelers; stepped-and-corniced ridge and end stacks.
Left 2-storey pent projection with old half-glazed door, 3-pane overlight and
12-pane sash above; coping and moulded kneeler. Projecting right wing with
chamfered plinth, 3-light transomed window with hoodmould, 2-light lst-floor
window with cornice, and small lancet under coped gable with moulded kneelers
Right return shows narrow recessed centre bay with half-glazed leaded door
and overlight beneath quatrefoil window. Left 2-light transomed window
beneath corbelled-out gabled half-dormer; cross-gabled right bay has transomed
4-light bay window with embattled parapet, 2-light 1st floor window and small
attic lancet. Stepped-and-corniced ridge and right end stacks.
Rear elevation: Gabled service wing has paired 12-pane sashes under 9-pane
casement. To right an arched stair window, with radial glazed head, in stone
surround. Far right west wing with irregular long quoins:
Interior: West ground-floor room has fireplace in moulded stone surround
with fluted keystone. Stone open-well stair with C19 turned balusters. 1st
floor of old part has 2-panel doors throughout and moulded stone fireplaces.
East wing has Gothic stone-panelled fireplaces on ground floor. West wing
has a large C18 corniced stone fireplace, and a newel stair at the front.
Listing NGR: NZ0819812433
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings