History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Staindrop Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Staindrop, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5805 / 54°34'49"N

Longitude: -1.8001 / 1°48'0"W

OS Eastings: 413016

OS Northings: 520602

OS Grid: NZ130206

Mapcode National: GBR HHWG.2T

Mapcode Global: WHC5L.B41C

Entry Name: Staindrop Hall

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1121755

English Heritage Legacy ID: 111503

Location: Staindrop, County Durham, DL2

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Staindrop

Built-Up Area: Staindrop

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Staindrop

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Staindrop

Listing Text

STAINDROP FRONT STREET
NZ 1220 and NZ 1320
(South side)
17/138 and 18/138 No. 20
14/9/66 (Staindrop Hall)

GV II

House. Late C16/early C17 with C18 additions and alterations. Rendered with
painted ashlar dressings; roofs synthetic stone slates and graduated Lakeland
slates; ashlar and brick chimneys. H-plan original house with C18 east
addition and smaller west addition. North elevation to road: 2 and 3 storeys,
9 bays, with one-storey, 3-bay right addition. 3-storey, 3-bay first build
with one-storey set-back wings; left wing altered to 2 storeys and set-back
2-storey, 4-bay second build added. First build has 2-light ground-floor
windows in outer bays, central 3-light windows above, and 2-light in right
return, all with rebated chamfered stone mullions and those on upper floors
with label moulds; right wing has similar 3-light windows on upper floors.
Left wing has broad glazing bars and architraves to 6-pane light inserted in
blocked door and 12-pane sash above. C18 left addition has step up to 6-panel
door and tall 3-pane overlight in architrave in third bay, flanked by left
inserted sash and right quartered round window; sashes with glazing bars and
architraves on first floor in third and fourth bays. Right addition has
central sash and small light at right. Continuous eaves to 2-and 3-storey
parts. Hipped roofs with end and ridge banded chimneys. South elevation to
garden shows first build with inserted ground-floor door and windows; label
moulds over 3-light windows on upper floors, and with mullions removed in
projecting left wing. Symmetrical C18 build projects at right, with canted
central projection; varied glazing in original openings. One-storey west
addition has inserted garage doors at left, and tripartite sashes with glazing
bars in other bays.

Interior partly inspected: ground floor of first build has moulded plastered
beams; large painted stucco coat of arms, with scallop in each quarter, on
ceiling in front of fire, and scallop on corbel over fire; C18 cupboard with
patterned glazing bars; closed-well stair in rear wing. C18 addition has
dogleg stair with ramped grip handrail on column balusters and block tread
ends; high quality stucco ceiling decoration with dentilled cornice in one and
medallioned cornice in the other principal rooms. Carved C18 chimney piece
brought from Gainford.


Listing NGR: NZ1299720596

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.