This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6506 / 54°39'2"N
Longitude: -1.7477 / 1°44'51"W
OS Eastings: 416374
OS Northings: 528419
OS Grid: NZ163284
Mapcode National: GBR JG7N.FN
Mapcode Global: WHC57.4C0M
Entry Name: The Rectory
Listing Date: 30 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121832
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111375
Location: Etherley, County Durham, DL14
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Etherley
Built-Up Area: Low Etherley
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Etherley
Church of England Diocese: Durham
ETHERLEY CHURCH STREET
NZ 12 NE
(West side, off)
5/10 The Rectory
Rectory. Dated 1834, probably by Ramshaw; rear additions of 1882 incorporate
fragments of C18 house. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings,
plinth and quoins; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Irregular plan.
Tudor style. Main front 2 storeys, 3 bays; steps up to central renewed door
and inserted overlight in Tudor-arched surround with wide, stopped chamfer;
Tudor lettering 18 T 34 in moulded panel under floating cornice; 2-light window
above, and 3-light windows in outer bays, have recessed chamfers, stone mullions,
floating cornices; narrow sashes, most with glazing bars removed. Central bay
projects slightly under crow-stepped gable with gable string. Roof gable
copings rest on moulded kneelers; end chimneys with plinths and cornices have
2-centred arches between conjoined flues; similar chimneys on rear wing ridges.
Interior shows moulded stucco ceiling cornices to principal rooms; 6-panel
doors in architraves; re-used 2-panel door to cellar.
The 'T' in the date panel perhaps refers to Bishop Thorpe, a patron of the
Most of the cost was met by the vicar, George Watson.
Source: P. Kilminster Etherley Parish Church St. Cuthbert, 1982.
Listing NGR: NZ1637428419
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings