History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ramshaw Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Evenwood and Barony, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6334 / 54°38'0"N

Longitude: -1.7643 / 1°45'51"W

OS Eastings: 415311

OS Northings: 526494

OS Grid: NZ153264

Mapcode National: GBR JG3V.TV

Mapcode Global: WHC56.WS1W

Entry Name: Ramshaw Hall

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1121836

English Heritage Legacy ID: 111387

Location: Evenwood and Barony, County Durham, DL14

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Evenwood and Barony

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Evenwood

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Evenwood

Listing Text

EVENWOOD AND BARONY RAMSHAW LANE
NZ 12 NE
(East side)
5/22 Ramshaw Hall
14/9/66

GV II*

House. Circa 1700, possibly incorporating an earlier building. Thinly rendered
sandstone with ashlar dressings and projecting quoins; rear wing sandstone
rubble with quoins; front range roof concrete tiles, with stone slates at front
eaves; rear wing and left extension pantiled. L-plan. 2 storeys, 6 bays with
small one-storey, one-bay left privy. Third bay is wider and contains narrow
window to left of 8-panel door in architrave under scroll-bracketed stone hood;
paired narrow windows above, trompe l'oeil over door. Plain stone surrounds to
windows, all sashes; most renewed with 12 or 4 panes; early C19 12-pane sashes
on first floor in 2 right bays. Steeply-pitched roof has 3 ashlar ridge chimneys
with plinths and cyma recta cornices. Right return has 2-light chamfered,stone-
mullioned attic window with leaded glazing; long 2-storey rear wing with
irregular fenestration, all renewed. Rear has 2-storey, 2-bay outshut with
2-light stone-mullioned window, under catslide roof; inner return of rear wing
blank on ground floor.

Interior: dogleg close-string stair with high grip handrail on diabolo balusters;
panelling of C17 proportions in entrance hall and room to left, the latter with
segmental-headed cupboards with shaped shelves and shell tops flanking plain
stone fire. Large stop-chamfered beams in 2 main rooms. Many panelled doors
of c.1700.

Empty at time of survey.


Listing NGR: NZ1531126494

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.