This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0352 / 55°2'6"N
Longitude: -1.6127 / 1°36'45"W
OS Eastings: 424851
OS Northings: 571251
OS Grid: NZ248712
Mapcode National: GBR KB56.NT
Mapcode Global: WHC3C.6P9T
Entry Name: Gosforth House, Now Brandling House, Part of High Gosforth Park Club
Listing Date: 27 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121859
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304973
Location: North Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Civil Parish: North Gosforth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Christ the King
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 27 SW NORTH GOSFORTH B1318 (east side)
27 August 1952 Gosforth House, now Brandling
House, part of High Gosforth
Country house, now part of club and grandstand. 1755-64 by James Paine for Charles
and Elizabeth Brandling. 1881 conversion to racecourse club and grandstand for High
Gosforth Park Co. Ltd. 1921 restoration. Sandstone ashlar with plinth; felt-covered
graduated slate roof. 3 storeys, 7 bays and one-storey links to wings. Palladian
style with rusticated ground storey. Central 3 bays, projecting slightly under open
pediment, contain 3 glazed C20 doors with overlights; doors also in flanking bays. Set-
back outer bays contain sashes. Central and end first floor windows with chambranle
architraves, blind balustrades and segmental pediments, the central one bracketed.
Plain reveals to intermediate and to all second floor windows; all sashes with
glazing bars. Dentilled eaves cornice and pediment; central floating cornice.
One-storey extruded links, with rainwater heads dated 1867, have plinths, sash
windows, mostly blocked, eaves band and blocking course; C20 century doors inserted
in left link. 5-bay south front: on ground floor, arched niches alternate with
blocked openings; on piano nobile, 5 windows with aedicule treatment under pediments,
the outer segmental and the central round. Source: Paine Plans and Elevations
1767 Vol. I p. 15: E. Mackenzie, View of Northumberland 2nd. ed. Newcastle 1825,
Listing NGR: NZ2485171251
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings