This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9693 / 54°58'9"N
Longitude: -1.6139 / 1°36'50"W
OS Eastings: 424813
OS Northings: 563925
OS Grid: NZ248639
Mapcode National: GBR SP6.NX
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.5CQ8
Entry Name: Literary and Philosophical Society
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121954
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304943
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2463 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE WESTGATE ROAD
14.6.54 Literary and Philosophical
Private library and society rooms. 1822 by John Green; stone mason John Ions of
Gateshead. Sandstone ashlar; roof not visible. Greek revival style. 3 storeys, 3 bays
under pediment. Moulded plinths; rusticated ground floor with wide square stone steps
to double door recessed behind fluted Ionic columns; Voussoirs to this and to
flanking aproned sashes. First-floor sashes in architraves, with cornices, the central
bracketed; projecting sills to square second-floor sashes; all windows have glazing
bars. Top entablature with triglyphs and guttae. Ends set back and entablature
follows. 1885 addition of rear wing at right-angles obscured by Bolbec Hall (q.v.).
Interior shows much classical stucco ornament on friezes; wrought-iron balconies
and spiral stair to library gallery; low-domed roof lights with glazing bars. Extension
at rear with similar-style interior 1888/9 by A.B. Gibson. Sculpture collection
includes busts of Bewick 1825 by Bailey, of Rev. Turner 1829 by Bailey; of George
Stephenson 1832 by Moore; of Robert Stephenson 1855 by Wyon; and statue of James Losh
1836 by Lough.
Listing NGR: NZ2481363925
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings