History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Waltham, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7868 / 51°47'12"N

Longitude: 0.481 / 0°28'51"E

OS Eastings: 571219

OS Northings: 212702

OS Grid: TL712127

Mapcode National: GBR PJS.VVP

Mapcode Global: VHJJW.9C43

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 10 April 1967

Last Amended: 7 April 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1122044

English Heritage Legacy ID: 112827

Location: Little Waltham, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford

Civil Parish: Little Waltham

Built-Up Area: Little Waltham

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great and Little Leighs and Little Waltham

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Pleshey

Listing Text

1. LITTLE BADDOW BROOK BILL
5213
Church of St Martin
TL 7112 24/334 10.4.67.

II
GV
2.
A stone and flint rubble church of C12 origin. The nave and south door is C12 and there is
a Norman round headed window in the south-west of the nave. The chancel was rebuilt in the
C14-C15. The battlemented west tower is early C15 but was much repaired in the C16-C17 when
it was partly rebuilt in brick, with corner buttresses with 5 offsets and surmounted by a
small cupola with a weather vane bearing the date 1679. The church was much restored in
1883 when the south porch was rebuilt and the organ chamber added. The interior has
brasses of Johannes Walthan 1418, Richard Walthan 1426 and John Malthouse 1447. There is
also a "dugout" iron bound sycamore chest of the C13-C14. (RCHM 1).

The Church of St Martin Little Waltham Hall Hulmans and The 0ld Rectory form a group.

BROOK HILL

shall be amended to read

WHEELER'S HILL

------------------------------------

1. LITTLE WALTHAM BROOK HILL
5213
Church of St Martin
TL 7112 24/334
GV II

2.
A stone and flint rubble church of Cl2 origin. The nave and south door is Cl2
and there is a Norman round headed window in the south-west of the nave. The
chancel was rebuilt in the C14-C15, The battlemented west tower is early C15
but was much repaired in the Cl6-Cl7 when it was partly rebuilt in brick, with
corner buttresses with 5 offsets and surmounted by a small cupola with a weather
vane bearing the date 1679. The church was much restored in 1883 when the south
porch was `rebuilt and the organ chamber added. The interior has brasses of Johannes
Walthan 1418, Richard Walthan 1426 and John Malthouse 1447. There is also a "dugout"
iron bound sycamore chest of the C13-C14. (RCHM 1).

The Church of St Martin, Little Waltham Hall, Hulmans and The Old Rectory form a group.


Listing NGR: TL7121912702

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.