This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7155 / 51°42'55"N
Longitude: 0.5555 / 0°33'19"E
OS Eastings: 576635
OS Northings: 204955
OS Grid: TL766049
Mapcode National: GBR PKV.H7R
Mapcode Global: VHJK9.L41Q
Entry Name: Danbury Palace
Listing Date: 19 June 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1122202
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112488
Location: Danbury, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Danbury
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Danbury St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
1. DANBURY DANBURY PARK
TL 70 SE 14/611
An early C19 red brick mansion dating from 1832. It stands on the site of a
Mildmay mansion dated 1589. It was designed by Susan Costantia Round, wife
of the owner, and Thomas Hopper. From 1845 to 1890 it was occupied by the Bishops
of Rochester and later of St Albans. It is now owned by the Essex County Council.
The main block is 2 storeys and parts rise to 3 and 4 storeys. The windows
generaLly are mullioned and transomed casements. A large 2 storey entrance
bay projects on the west side with an ornamental open parapet and corner turrets.
The south side has a castellated parapet and an octagonal corner turret on the
north-east corner. At the south end there is a chapel with traceried windows
which was added by Bishop Wigram (1860-67).
Listing NGR: TL7663504955
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings