This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5695 / 51°34'10"N
Longitude: 0.3844 / 0°23'3"E
OS Eastings: 565343
OS Northings: 188324
OS Grid: TQ653883
Mapcode National: GBR NL1.G0W
Mapcode Global: VHJKS.MT15
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 4 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1122253
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112312
Location: Basildon, Essex, CM13
Electoral Ward/Division: Laindon Park
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Laindon St Nicholas with Dunton
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
717/5/54 CHURCH ROAD
Church of St Mary
Rebuilt in 1873 by W G Bartleet. Additions to north post-c1995
MATERIALS: Red brick with Bath stone dressings. Red clay tile roofs. Timber-clad bellcote with shingled spire.
PLAN: Nave, lower chancel, south porch, vestry (north), brick extension and conservatory to north.
EXTERIOR: The church was rebuilt in 1873 and the architect incorporated features from various medieval periods, perhaps mirroring the details of the earlier church. Thus the south-east bay of the chancel and that east of the porch have C13-style lancets, the chancel south-west bay a two-light C14 or C15 window under a square head, while the other windows mostly have Decorated flowing tracery of the early C14. The north-west bay of the chancel appears to incorporate Tudor brickwork. At the west end there is a square timber-clad bell-turret with plain, louvred single-light pointed openings. It is covered by a shingled splay-foot spire. Three dormer windows have been inserted on the north side since the building came into secular use.
INTERIOR: The interior has now been subdivided for residential use and the floor substantially raised. However, at the west end the (probably) C15 timbers supporting the belfry survive and include substantial arch braces to a tie-beam.
PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The C19 pulpit, a plain Gothic Revival piece with pierced tracery panels remains.
HISTORY: The church was converted to residential use c1995. The architect for the 1873 rebuilding, William Gibbs Bartleet (1829-1906), was born in Handsworth (later part of Birmingham) and was articled to a London architect, John Walker until 1850. He then spent some time in an architect's office in Chichester. He was in independent practice by 1860. In 1891 he took his son into partnership.
Bettley, J and Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Essex, (2007) 117
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The former Church of St Mary, Church Road, Dunton, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It is a mid-Victorian rebuilding which, despite conversion to residential use, retains much of its picturesque external character
* It incorporates medieval structural timbers at the west end
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.