History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Little Meadowend

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ridgewell, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0335 / 52°2'0"N

Longitude: 0.5455 / 0°32'43"E

OS Eastings: 574705

OS Northings: 240290

OS Grid: TL747402

Mapcode National: GBR PFZ.DQF

Mapcode Global: VHJHR.D4QY

Entry Name: Little Meadowend

Listing Date: 16 May 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1122314

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114114

Location: Ridgewell, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Ridgewell

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Tilbury juxta Clare St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Great Yeldham

Listing Text

TL 74 SW RIDGEWELL
3/46 Little Meadowend

II*

Lobby-entrance house, c.1600, with later additions. Timber frame, plastered
between exposed studding, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays aligned
approx. N-S, with chimney stack in second bay from S against E wall, lobby-
entrance and stair to W of stack. Stair tower added to E of stack, C17, later
converted to 2 small rooms. External chimney stack at N gable, and 2 single-
storey extensions beyond. 2 storeys with attics. 6-panel door with top panels
glazed, C18. 3 C20 casement windows on ground floor, 4 on first floor. Grouped
diagonal shafts on main stack, roof hipped to S. Blocked window with 2 hollow-
moulded mullions to rear of S bay, ground floor. Blocked doorway rebated
externally to N of stair tower. Evidence of 3 removed oriel windows on first
floor. Timber frame exposed internally. Jowled posts, arched braces to
tiebeams, arched bracing trenched to inside of heavy studding. In S bay, plain-
chamfered axial beam scribed into transverse members, joists of horizontal
section plain-chamfered with step stops. In bay to N of stack, plain-chamfered
binding beam with lamb's tongue stops, otherwise as in S bay. Original framed
stair trap to west of stack, short joists of horizontal section plain-chamfered
with lamb's tongue stops, later stair in aperture. Original rebated floorboards
throughout, some covered by softwood boards. Grooves for sliding shutters.
Large wood-burning hearths. Edge-halved and bridled scarfs in wallplates.
Original clasped purlin roof. Original newel stair to attic. Pine cupboard
recessed into stack on first floor, with mouldings and carved diamond-shaped
panel. C18 pine doors. The 1952 schedule records this building as plastered
externally, with 2 C18 dormers. The external plaster was stripped, the dormers
removed, some of the windows changed, and internal woodwork stripped, circa
1979.


Listing NGR: TL7470540290

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.