History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Swan Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Birdbrook, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0574 / 52°3'26"N

Longitude: 0.513 / 0°30'46"E

OS Eastings: 572386

OS Northings: 242869

OS Grid: TL723428

Mapcode National: GBR PFJ.Y8W

Mapcode Global: VHJHJ.VK25

Entry Name: The Swan Public House

Listing Date: 16 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1122342

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114077

Location: Birdbrook, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Birdbrook

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Birdbrook St Augustine of Canterbury

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Stoke by Clare

Listing Text

TL 74 SW BIRDBROOK BAYTHORNE END
3/13 The Swan Public
House

GV II


Lobby-entrance house, C17, altered in C20, now a public house. Timber framed,
plastered, front elevation of C20 yellow brick in Flemish Bond, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays aligned approx. NW-SE, aspect NE, with original
axial chimney stack in second bay from SE end forming a lobby-entrance. Long
rear extension from SE end, with external chimney stack and bread oven at end,
and single-storey extension beyond. Shorter rear extension from NW end, with
axial chimney stack, and single-storey lean-to extension at end. Lean-to
extension to rear of main range. C20 toilet block to W. 2 storeys. Half-
glazed door at front of C20 gabled porch, half-glazed door under bracketed hood,
3 double-hung sash windows of 16 lights. First floor, 3 double-hung sash
windows of 12 lights. Rusticated brick quoins, dentils below eaves, 2 sections
of facade set slightly forward. Interior has plain-chamfered beams with lamb's
tongue stops above ground and first floors. Face-halved and bladed scarfs in
wallplates. Main chimney stack rebuilt at ground floor level. S stack
complete, mantel beam with lamb's tongue stops, door of bread oven missing.
A deed in the possession of the brewers, of which the licensee has a copy and
transcript, records the sale of the property in 1707 by John Pyke alias Crouch,
gent, to William Pye and Rosa his wife for £50. An inscription in the W wall
of the parish church refers to 'Martha Blewit of the Swan Inn at Bathorn-End
in this Parish, buried May 7th 1681'.


Listing NGR: TL7238642869

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.