History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bowdon, Trafford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3779 / 53°22'40"N

Longitude: -2.3643 / 2°21'51"W

OS Eastings: 375864

OS Northings: 386846

OS Grid: SJ758868

Mapcode National: GBR CYXC.YT

Mapcode Global: WH98V.NCC8

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 12 July 1985

Last Amended: 3 April 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1122650

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212815

Location: Trafford, WA14

County: Trafford

Electoral Ward/Division: Bowdon

Built-Up Area: Altrincham

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Bowdon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Altrincham

Listing Text

In the entry for:

SJ 78 NE BOWDON PARK ROAD
(South-east side)

7/58 Church of Saint
Mary the Virgin

G.V. II*

The address shall be amended to read: CHURCH BROW
(South-east side)
Church of Saint
Mary the Virgin

------------------------------------

SJ 78 NE BOWDON PARK ROAD
(south-east
side)

7/58 Church of Saint
Mary the Virgin

G.V. II*

Church. 1858-60. W.H.Brakspear. Ashlar with slate roof.
Nave, aisles, west tower, north and south porches,
transepts, chancel, vestry and Stamford chapel. 5-bay aisles
have transomed 5-light C16 style square-headed windows,
weathered buttresses with crocketed pinnacles, (missing on
north) castellations and porch in western bay. Clerestory
has 3-light traceried square headed openings and
castellations. 4-stage tower has diagonal buttresses with
crocketed pinnacles, ornate clock faces, 4-light belfry
openings, gargoyles, enriched band and castellations. The
transepts and 3-bay chancel have set back buttresses, 5-
light windows and bold corner pinnacles, otherwise treatment
is similar. Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade with
octagonal columns and moulded capitals. Double-chamfered
chancel arch and tower arch with traceried screen and bell
ringers' gallery. The wide aisles re-use early C16 roofs of
a predecessor church and have elaborate gilded and painted
bosses. The nave roof is of an ornate hammer beam
construction, the chancel and transepts have arch-braced
trusses, those in the chancel being elaborately painted.
Monuments include Baguley monument, C14; Brereton monument
with 2 recumbent effigies and canopy, C17; Henry Booth and
Mary Warrington monument, a sarcophagus with seated figures
in front of long inscription and open pediment, 1734 by
Carpenter; Booth monument with sarcophagus, obelisk, cherubs
medallions and segmental pediment on Ionic columns also by
Carpenter 1735; and Ninth Earl of Stamford wall plaque, Neo-
Wren of 1910 and other wall monuments of C17, C18 and C19.
Also fragments of C8, C10 and C14 sculpture. Stained glass
by Kempe and Clutterbuck and stalls and pulpit by Temple
Moore c.1910.


Listing NGR: SJ7586486846

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.