This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9671 / 51°58'1"N
Longitude: 0.4537 / 0°27'13"E
OS Eastings: 568662
OS Northings: 232686
OS Grid: TL686326
Mapcode National: GBR PGM.MJS
Mapcode Global: VHJHW.TT7F
Entry Name: The Old Parsonage
Listing Date: 2 May 1953
Last Amended: 17 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1122709
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115215
Location: Finchingfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7
Civil Parish: Finchingfield
Built-Up Area: Finchingfield
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Finchingfield St John Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 6832 FINCHINGFIELD THE PIGHTLE
7/73 The Old Parsonage
2.5.53 (formerly listed as
House. C15, altered in Cl6, C17 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay hall facing NW with late C16 axial stack in
right bay, 3-bay crosswing at left end with external stack on left return wall,
and 2-bay crosswing at right end. Parallel range at rear, C17. Service range
to right, with thatched roof. 2 storeys, 3- window range of C20 casements.
6-panel door with top panels glazed. Late C16 bargeboards on left crosswing
carved with grotesque beasts. Grouped diagonal shafts. The right crosswing has
a chamfered binding beam with step stops, heavy plain joists jointed to it with
unrefined soffit tenons, an underbuilt jetty and diamond mortices for unglazed
windows, C15. The walls have been raised and the roof rebuilt on the line of
the main range in the Cl7. The hall has a C16 inserted floor with chamfered
axial and transverse beams, and plain joists of horizontal section jointed to
them with soffit tenons with diminished haunches. The walls have been raised and
the roof rebuilt in the C17. The left crosswing has a chamfered binding beam
with step stops, and it retains the original crownpost roof with axial braces.
A notable feature is the stair at the rear of the hall, late C16, rising in 2
straight flights with an intermediate landing, moulded handrail, and 8 chamfered
posts with lamb's tongue stops and elaborate moulded square finials. 5 doors of
moulded planks on ledges, c.1600. RCHM 17.
Listing NGR: TL6866232686
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings