This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9697 / 51°58'10"N
Longitude: 0.4522 / 0°27'7"E
OS Eastings: 568547
OS Northings: 232974
OS Grid: TL685329
Mapcode National: GBR PGM.F4W
Mapcode Global: VHJHW.SRFD
Entry Name: The Windmill
Listing Date: 2 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1122733
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115181
Location: Finchingfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7
Civil Parish: Finchingfield
Built-Up Area: Finchingfield
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Finchingfield St John Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 6832 FINCHINGFIELD DUCK END
7/38 The Windmill
Post mill. Early C18. Timber framed, weatherboarded, roundhouse of red brick.
A small postmill, brought from elsewhere and erected on a high mill mound before
1840. The roundhouse was added in 1840. Formerly had 4 single-shuttered spring
sails revolving anti-clockwise on an all-wooden windshaft (a rare feature, which
survives dismantled), driving one pair of stones directly from the brakewheel,
with a tail pole to turn it into the wind. Many carved dates inside the
structure, of which the earliest is 1753. Belonged to the Spains Hall estate
and last worked c.1890. After a period of dereliction it was repaired by the
Parish, and again in 1958 by Essex County Council. At time of survey, August
1984, a major programme of restoration by Essex County Council has begun.
Listing NGR: TL6854732974
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings