History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Pebmarsh, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9689 / 51°58'8"N

Longitude: 0.6964 / 0°41'47"E

OS Eastings: 585324

OS Northings: 233481

OS Grid: TL853334

Mapcode National: GBR QJ8.GX5

Mapcode Global: VHKFH.1S00

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 21 June 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1122830

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114898

Location: Pebmarsh, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Pebmarsh

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Pebmarsh St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Great Maplestead

Listing Text

PEBMARSH THE STREET
TL 83 SE
(north side)
4/100 (27/573) The Manor House
1954
21.6.62
GV II
House. Circa 1500, extended in late C16 and C20. Timber framed, plastered,
roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Main range of 2 bays facing S with axial
stack at left end, and 2-bay crosswing at right end, late C16, with C18 stack in
right return wall. Stair tower to rear of main block, c.1600, and single-storey
lean-to extension. 2-storey extension with internal stack and flat roof to rear
of crosswing. 2 storeys. 2-storey splayed bay of C20 casements on crosswing,
one-window range of C20 casements on main block, 6-panel door with top panels
glazed at front of C20 lean-to porch. Some old pargetting in panels on right
return wall. The interior has jowled posts, heavy studding with curved braces
trenched inside. The main range has chamfered transverse and axial beams, and
plain joists of horizontal section jointed to them with unrefined soffit tenons.
2 unglazed windows in rear wall, the upper one with 3 diamond mullions in situ,
now both enclosed in rear extension. The crosswing has exposed plain joists of
horizontal section, and a trimmed stair trap, now blocked. The stair tower has
an original window with 2 ovolo mullions, and some C17 leaded glass. The
crosswing has the original butt-purlin roof, roof of main range rebuilt. (The
adjacent property to the W, The Post Office, originated as the service end
crosswing of The Manor House, later partitioned off). RCHM 2.


Listing NGR: TL8532433481

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.